5.07.2012

Green Monster

Coffee is just not cutting it for me.  Not only was I addicted to it, like I feel-like-I'm-going-to-die-without-it kind of addiction, it left me feeling dehydrated all day, especially living in Denver at such a high altitude.  

So I've said "bye-bye" to my morning Joe and HELLO to my Green Monster!!

Meet green monster.  Isn't he cute?  

 
He is the ultimate pick me up for my early mornings. Well any morning, really.  I have started drinking my fruits and greens for breakfast, and WOW, what a difference!  My skin feels better and clearer, my eyes are whiter and I have so much energy for my little munchkins at school.  Do yourself a favor.  Make your own green monster.  He is not so scary, and he tastes a-maz-ing.

Here is how I do it...

Pick a good balance of your favorite fruits and veggies.  I do 1/2 of each whole fruit.  Pineapple, cucumber and apple are my staples.  Pear is awesome when in season.


Add the liquids and greens: spinach and kale (2 big handfuls combined), carrot juice - so sweet-, almond milk (or any milk/liquid you are feelin' that day), drizzles of agave nectar*, and a 1/2 'nana.


Greek yogurt is a MUST.  Extra protein, keeps things movin' and makes my Green Monster nice and smooooth.

Layer in blender.  Liquids, fruits, greens, yogurt. Grind it up!

Look at that neon green.  I think it's actually really pretty.  AND kids think it's SO cool too!

 
Pour. slurp. feel alive.


Green Monster
All ingredients can be changed/added to your liking

1/2 apple (honeycrisp is my fav)
1/2 seedless cucumber
1/2 pear
1 pineapple ring (1/3 cup)
1/2 banana
2 tbs plain (or vanilla) greek yogurt 
2 tsp of light agave nectar
2 handfuls of spinach 
a few leaves of kale (leave out the tough middle part of the leaf)
splashes of carrot juice
splashes of milk, almond milk, water or apple juice


*Agave nectar is one of my secrets.  It's sugar in a natural form and a little bit goes a long way!






No comments:

Post a Comment